A friend on Facebook posted photos of a purse she’d made that I thought was the cutest! I asked for the pattern, and she pointed me here. I showed this purse half done in the President’s Day post. Now that I’ve finished, it however, I thought I give the background of it.
I had bought some fabric recently that I thought would be perfect for the pattern. However, because I have some issues with cutting into pretty fabric (ok, I admit, I just have fabric issues in general), I decided to make a “prototype” purse first.
I had some plain fabric sitting around that would be perfect for it. Of course, plain fabric is no fun, so I decided to embellish a little bit… :) The flower was free-handed on and then painted with fabric paint. The green lines are embroidered on.
I’m actually very glad I did the prototype, even though I’m still laughing at myself for my quirky fabric issues. The purse, while overall being great, has some things that I’d like to change before I use my pretty fabric. For one, the handle is too wide; I’ll probably cut the width in half next time, and I might attach it differently than the direction call for as well. Additionally, I added a pocket on the inside, but for the next one, I’ll add an inset zipper pocket as well.
In any case, the purse was fun to embellish and I think it turned out pretty and cute over all. I’m not sure it’s my style completely, but maybe I’ll carry for a casual evening out in the summer or something.