I’ve now made a couple of the cutest little flowers. They are quick and easy and cute. What more could you want? I found the tutorial on how to make it, here. I showed one last week that I made and another I made this week. Am I done making them? Oh, no. 🙂 I have so many ideas!
I’m not going to do a full tutorial, because the original blog did a great job of it all ready. However, I wanted to show what I did that was different. She gathered her petals by hand stitches and was able to get them really tightly gather in. I decided to chain stitch them on my machine with a basting stitch (yes, out of pure laziness) and I didn’t gather the petals as tightly. This means that I didn’t own a button big enough to cover up the hole. So, I had to come up with a different way to fill in the center. If you jumped over there and read her tutorial, I followed everything up until she attaches the button. From there, I do my own thing. After following her steps, I have a two layer ring of petals with stitching and raw edges showing.
The center I decided to make for my flower is the same fabric as one of the petal colors. You could simply cut a circle, turn under the edge on the circle and sew it down, but I wanted some firmness to the fabric. So, modifying a cheater applique technique I learned the Crafty Gemini, I made a interfaced lined circle. I used heavy weight interfacing. Medium weight might work; I didn’t have any on hand to try. Light weight will not work; it doesn’t pull the edges under as well.
Taking the heavy weight interfacing, trace the finished circle size onto it. I’m sure there’s a scientific way to measure this out and figure the exact dimension of the finished circle, but I just laid the interface on the flower and traced with a removable marker.
Next, I placed the fabric for the center and the interfacing right sides together and sewed around the marked line.
After sewing cut the seam allowance to about 1/8″.
Then, cut a cross through the interfacing layer only. Only only only, through the interfacing layer.
Through that hole, turn the circle inside out.
Repeat this same process for the circle for the back of the flower. And voila! two fabric circles. The interfacing I used was fusible, so I iron the circles at this point. Ironing really helped thin the circle down and eliminate bulk from the seam.
From there, I first sewed the front circle onto the flower.
Next, I sewed a pin onto the back circle, then sewed it to the back.
There you have it, flower completed!