This post should have been written a month or so ago, but as my schedule was beating me up daily, it didn’t get written. So here’s an update that’s already outdated. 🙂
I have decided that quilting should be my next adventure. However, due to my tendency to start things and stop halfway through, I decided to start small and get bigger from there.What’s small and quilt-able? A potholder, of course. 🙂 Actually, I decided to do applique, as that seemed more interesting to me, at least to start with. Blocks seem like too much work for a beginning project, just to see if I like it.
To begin with, I did by a rotary cutter and mat. One thing I’ve learned so far is that it’s worth it to by the right tools at the beginning. If I don’t have the right tools, it makes it much less fun and I make way more mistakes. Also, I had a 40% off coupon. That helped too.
Beyond that, I wanted to buy as little as possible for the project. I had to buy batting (Insul-bright and cotton batting came recommended from many, many forums that I perused), but that was it. The fabric I used was from my stash.
The patterns I used came from my head. I tried to keep it simple (the flower one, not so much, too many curves) and work with the colors I had. Since I didn’t want to buy anything for this, I had to also use the thread I had on hand. I didn’t have enough colors to match all the fabric, so instead I just used black. I love, no really, love, how it turned out. 🙂
After finishing the applique, I did some sample quilting and binding to make sure I knew how it would work. This piece has some diagonal lines running across some scrap fabric so I could get the feel of it. I stitched around the designs for the quilting, nothing too fancy.
So here they are, my two finished potholders. And, if you were wondering, I think I’m hooked on quilting!